Re: Added Mag Confusion

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Added Mag Confusion
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 97 8:39:22 PDT
>      Suppose you put the mag rod in your cooling system.  Does which type
>      of metal it's connected to make a difference?  Or should it be
>      isolated? Will it make a difference if your aluminum radiator is
>      grounded or isolated?   After all, we are making batteries with these
>      dissimilar metals and fluids......
>
>      There,  that should be good for 10 or 15 more posts.
>
>      Stu

I'm guessing you're only half serious Stu, but this very thought also
occurred to me.  The zinc anodes in the JCW catalog are attached to the
radiator cap washers by wires.  I'm guessing the magnesium ones are too.
I was planning to do one experiment with the mag piece connected to the
copper by a wire and one not.  I'm also going to toss in some lead.

Some preliminary results:  Last weekend I filled a glass jar with salt
water and put in a piece of copper pipe, an aluminum rivet, a piece of
aluminum foil, a steel nut and a zinc dipped nail.  I took a look last
night and noticed that the aluminum foil was pretty well chewed up
already.  Now if only I could just get one of those machines that
generate great bolts of electrical discharge...

Roland