Re: Magnesium Rods

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Magnesium Rods
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 17:57:59 +0100
Thanks to Roland, Jim, and Tom, Stu, Bennett

I did not expect so much "fan" mail on such a "light" subject {;-).

As to the Milk of Magnesia input: Didn't your mom tell you M.O.M. will
fix your plumbing?

As to the "Great Magnesium Fire Destroys All Vintage Cars": This only
happens when very fine shavings, or dust is heated to flame
temperatures. Magnesium powder is used in both flares and WWII fire
bombs. The entire Mercedes team quit at Le Mans, while running ahead of
everybody, when one of their magnesium structure cars struck a wall and
sent burning pieces onto the spectators, killing some. This was caused
by the friction between the concrete wall and the mag skin which ground
the metal to small hot particles. They did ignite and set of the rest of
the adjacent metal. It can happen, and I agree great care is necessary
in machining pieces. BUT, it is done all the time, and the resulting
stack of washers are not a fire hazard.

Yes they should be electrically bonded to the radiator, and a chain to
the cap is good. If you put it in to the expansion tank it won't get
lost in the plumbing.

Anyway, no big deal. Just recalling old ads, and testing my pocket
calculator on cost/unit. I have a chemistry and mechanical engineering
department working for me who would be happy to mull this about and give
me an "expert" opinion. By "expert", I mean that we only hire
post-doctoral grads with a minimum of 10 years experience at the entry
level.

Just let me know if anyone is just more than curious.

Said Alice, "Things are getting curiouser
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/