Clutch

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch
From: jhankins@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 17:59:45 -0500 (CDT)
Well, with the advice and encouragement of the folks that responded to my
earlier request for
help, I got the clutch and transmission  out without having to remove the
engine. Once I figured
out what needed to happen, it wasn't too bad, although I did have to drill two
small holes in
the transmission tunnel. (Gasp!!!) If anyone is interested, i'll be glad to
document the
procedure in more detail.

Now that the clutch is out, I am in SERIOUS need of advice.

First, the flywheel ring gear (157 teeth) is pretty badly chewed up. Also, the
flywheel has been
machined at least once, and there are some pretty deep cracks due to some
obvious overheating.
So, It would appear that I need to replace both the flywheel and the ring gear.
Should I, and if
so can anyone tell me where I might find said items and what specific parts
numbers I should
ask for?

Also, the whole clutch is pretty much a basket case. (hey, I was able to
salvage the bell-
housing, so it ain't all bad news!) I would appreciate any suggestions as to
what to use as a
replacement and where I might get all the parts, too. The engine is the 5-bolt
variety, and the
clutch looks like a Schiefer.

I've heard at least one apochryphal story that the Tiger needs something
different in the way of
a clutch set-up than a standard Ford. I also wouldn't mind the reduced effort
of a Centerforce
clutch. I don't want to risk having to redo the job in a few months, so I would
be grateful for
specific details from those of you who have already gone through the exercise.
I don't drive the
car real hard, so I don't need anything fancy. Functional and reliable would be
nice.

Thanks!

Joe