Re: TUXXII and the Concours

To: PLRRESTO@aol.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TUXXII and the Concours
From: Dave McDermott <Dave.McDermott@cusys.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 19:01:04 -0600
        Paul R. and all,

        Congratulations to Norm on bringing together many of the most
historic cars and personalities in one place. I still cannot believe he
pulled it off. I am sure it took most of his time which unfortunately
probably reduced the time he could spend on other parts of the event. I
thought the autocross was very well organized and laid out and the rally was
full of gimmicks for those who like such things and covered some beautiful
scenery. The quiz was challenging but caused a review of the whole Tiger
library which was good.
        The "Concours" as it was called was the most disappointing aspect of
the event.
        First on the issue of the Harrington it sounds as if it is a matter
of who defines stock. I would normally think that meant only vehicles that
were mass produced and offered for sale through the dealer network and as
advertised to the public. I thought the definition of stock for United
precluded body modifications. As you stated below the coachwork on the
Harrington is different than a normal mass produced Tiger. Therefore you
must be concluding that if the body modifications to a Tiger body shell were
done under a factory authorized contract with Harrington for example then
that is different than if an owner does them. If that is true then the
LeMans cars whose body modifications were contracted with Lister should also
qualify for the stock class since they also started out as Tiger or Alpine
shells. I see very little difference in the concept. Then if Dick Barker and
Sid Silverman entered their cars in the stock class there would be no
trophies left for the stock mass produced Tigers. I think it is very
probable that in any form of judging a one-off or three-off factory
prototype car is going to win over an equally prepared mass produced Tiger.
Does that sound fair to the entrants and will that encourage anyone to
prepare a really stock Tiger to concours specs? I really think those cars
are demonstration cars at a Tiger event. Please do not read me wrong. Bill's
car is superb and a former Pebble Beach winner and is deserving of awards
but in my opinion it just is not any competition for a mass produced stock
Tiger and should not be in that class.
        On the issue of judging I believe the event was a joke. I have also
been a concours chair at a Tiger event and know the problems recruiting
qualified judges but that IS the responsibility of the chair in addition to
training the judges, setting clear objective measurements, location
arrangements and trophies. If the checklist of items is clear then the
judges can review a car fairly quickly and I do not believe it takes 30
judges to do 60 cars in a reasonable time. It is done with far fewer judges
at many events across the country. I do not know why most of the judges quit
after the first class at Tahoe but something must have been said that caused
that. To expect the entrants to judge their competitors in an objective and
consistent fashion is ridiculous. The entrants have varying knowledge levels
of what is correct and original and have a definite vested interest.
Furthermore absolutely no instruction was given to the entrant/judges as to
how much to deduct or add for certain items. Therefore if for example a car
in the stock class had an incorrect gauge should the allotted points for
interior be reduced by a half point, one point or 5 points. I suspect
various cars were very inconsistently judged just because of lack of
direction. The method chosen for judging simply turned the event into a show
and shine not a concours. It also meant all the entrants did not have much
time to look at cars other than the ones they were assigned to judge.
        Finally my last issue deals with the criteria on which the cars were
judged. Criteria was published on the net for many months in advance of the
event. Some of us spent many hours and dollars bringing cars up to those
specs. One could not wait until the last minute to start that process. While
those specs were not perfect they were the best set of specs I have seen in
my 30 years of Tiger ownership to judge a stock Tiger and far better than
the ones used. I think anyone who viewed the published specs realized that
the personalized and modified Tigers would have to be judged differently.
The chair should have cleared those specs with all the necessary parties
before they were published and the powers to be should have inquired about
them much earlier. To drop those specs at the last minute after cars were
prepared was totally unfair to the entrants. Instead a different set of
specs could have been developed or the old United specs used only for the
personalized or modified classes and leave the stock class as published. A
decision to use different criteria for two classes would not have caused any
variation in the Lord Rootes award since the concourse was worth 200 points
based on where a car ended up in its class irrespective of the specs used to
judge that class. Some might argue that preparing a car to the published
specs should have helped even under the substituted rules. That is true for
some things but many would not have even been noticed in the lazy way the
judging was done. How many entrants noticed the Ford lettering on the
starter that is only visible under the car? Did the one judging the engine
compartment look under the engine area for that lettering? The decision to
change specs was made so late that even if one wanted it was too late to
cancel bringing a car to the event.
        I for one would not even have prepared and brought a car 1500 miles
to what amounted to a show and shine. I can do that locally almost any
weekend at home. Because of the cost of traveling that far with a car I
would have taken a flight into Eureka as just seeing the historic cars
together was worth the entry fee. I really thought the concours would be a
fair objective comparison of some of the best true stock Tigers in the
country and wanted to contribute toward that. It fell far short of that.
        My point in all this is one of fairness to the entrants. In the
future please let us all know far in advance what the rules are and stick to
them, how the judging will be conducted and the definitions of what cars are
eligible to enter which classes. That way we can make an informed decision
about entering the concours and bringing a car thousands of miles. Anyway
since you raised the issue again that's my two cents.

        Dave McDermott
        AHP483B and other Tigers