Re: Black Tiger

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Black Tiger
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 23:48:06 -0700
Boy, all this talk about Black Tigers brings back a flood of memories.
Does anyone out there remember a series of books written in the mid to late
'50's to early '60's by a fellow named Patrick O'Connor called the "Black
Tiger" series?  I am 36 years old and when I was in junior high, I was
already sports car crazy.  I found a copy of a book in the school library
called "The Black Tiger at LeMans," published in 1958.  Believe it or not,
that one book started me on a journey into classic sports cars and racing
that I am still on today!

The summer after I graduated from high school in 1978, I became bitten by
the "snake" or Cobra.  Having figured out rather quickly that Cobras were
already out of my price range, I got discouraged.  But then I met a guy who
is still one of my best friends and I fell in love with his Carnival Red
Mk1.  It must have been destiny or something; to be so impressed as a kid
by a series of books about a fictional Italian racing car called a "Black
Tiger," only to find myself years later face to face with what has to be
the most intriguing car on the planet with virtually the same name is
pretty bizarre.  I have to believe that I was definitely meant to own and
drive Tigers throughout my life.  I have owned three others prior to the
one I own now, a georgeous BRG example.  My dream, however, may never be
fully realized, for I have never owned a black Tiger.  I was looking for
one when I bought my green one (which, by the way, was my second color
choice) but they are apparently few and far between.  Oh well, I'll manage
one sooner or later, and you can bet it will be mine til I draw my last
breath.

Sorry I was so long winded but I hope this does open a thread of
conversation about how we all got into Tigers and why we like them so much.
 I have often wanted to ask that question since I have not had the pleasure
of meeting any of you in person.  Will someone pick up the ball and run
with it now?

By the way, in case anyone is interested, the books that I mentioned
previously are a series of five books entitled, "The Black Tiger," "The
Mexican Road Race," "The Black Tiger at LeMans," "The Black Tiger at
Bonneville," and "The Black Tiger at Indianapolis."  The only one I don't
have is "The Black Tiger at Bonneville" so if anyone has a copy they would
like to get rid of to help me complete my set, I would be most grateful.
They are really kids books but the way the stories are told is very real.
As a matter of fact, in the hard bound version of "The Black Tiger at
LeMans," the author, Patrick O'Connor, gives credit to his good friend "Ken
Miles" for helping with the authenticity of the story.

Happy reading,
Andy Walker
B382001600