Speedo Problem

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Speedo Problem
From: Larry Allbritton <larryall@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 19:51:15 -0700
The speedometer in the Mk1 does not show the proper speed.  As a matter
of fact sometimes it jumps up to 70 and stays there even when the
car is not moving.
I removed the speedo today and cleaned with qtips around the magnets
in the disc.  I thought maybe there was not enough magnetism thru
the crud but when I put my variable speed drill on it it still
wont register.  I can turn the disc by hand and it seems smooth but
it has some in and out play (approx 50 mils).
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Do I need to take it to a
speedo shop or is there something that I need to do to make it
functional.

Thanks in advance

Larry Allbritton
B9472723