Re[2]: Bell Housing

To: Frank Marrone <marrone@wco.com>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[2]: Bell Housing
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 12:33:13 PST
     Frank;

     1)Bear with me, I did that engine swap 20 + years ago. I vaguely
     remember the bell-housings WOULD interchange but flywheel-to-starter
     distances or # of teeth or something else negated both
     forwards-and-backwards compatibility.

     2)Changing from the 240-six to the 289 with C-4 was easy, I just got
     the bellhousing to fit my 5-bolt block. The starter p/n itself stayed
     the same, I used the 240 starter on the V-8.  The only mod.required
     was that the 289 overall length was about 2-3" shorter than the 240.
     The tranny-mount on the C-4 equipped Econolines was welded to the
     underside of the body pan.This mount had "extra" holes drilled fore
     and aft of the stock C-4 location. The C-4 case for these was special,
     their mount was integrally cast on the top of the tranny case, not on
     the underside. Along with the drop-in of the engine with Mustang motor
     mounts, one wonders why Ford never offered a V-8 option in those early
     year Econolines('63-66).Some even came with column-mounted 4-speeds.

     3)My top-loader, when I added it, came from a 390 Torino or Cyclone
     GT. It had a "dual-pattern" tranny-to-bellhousing mounting set-up and
     had 8 bolt-holes; 1 set for the big-blocks, one for small. I got a
     5-bolt junkyard, cast-iron bellhousing, and all the clutch parts from
     Ford.
     The input shaft housing diameter where it mounts on the tranny is a
     larger diam. for the 390 than for the 289. I turned it in a lathe to
     fit the 289 bellhousing; there was still enough metal left to seal
     around the bolt holes. I put in a new ring gear, magnafluxed and
     surfaced the flywheel and was ready to go.

     4)Since I couldn't come up with a stock column-mounted 4-speed
     shifter, I took the Cyclone 4-speed shifter and mounted it IN FRONT OF
     the engine box, which is between the front seats. My linkage was about
     6-7 feet long, so I welded up some bushing retainers on various parts
     of the frame, etc. and put in DELRIN bushings to reduce friction.My
     shifts were O.K., but never of the "speed-shift" variety.

     5) The last obstacle to clear was that reverse on the particular
     toploader I had was "over-and-down", which put it way underneath the
     driver's seat. Hmmmmm. I hadn't yet removed my stock shifter from the
     steering column for the C-4 (park-to-low). Crawling underneath, I
     measured the throw I needed for reverse on the 4-speed, and then
     measured the existing throw for the old shifter. They matched exactly,
     I only needed to weld on an extension and I had the ultimate
     reverse-lockout and anti-theft device.

6) I used the floor-shifter for 1st-4th; and depressed the clutch, put the
4-speed shifter in the neutral gate, and then used my stock auto. linkage for
reverse. This always "blew-minds" the first time anyone rode in the car.
Parallel parking was a bear, and since my particular model Econoline had the
extended body in the rear, I didn't attempt it much.

7)My 289 was overbored by .060", I used 11-1 Speed-Pro pistons, a high-vol. oil
pump.a "3/4" cam, Torker intake, and Holley 600-double pumper. I did all the
machine-work on the engine myself, except grinding the crank. I worked for an
engine-rebuilder in Palo Alto, and did all the machine work after hours for zero
$$. Since we were a major jobber, my parts cost me 10% over cost, including what
I bought from Ford dealers. I think I built the whole engine for $450.00.

                                            Phil "Cutting Torch" LeBrun