Wheels and Tires (was Good Hood)

To: "Tigers" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wheels and Tires (was Good Hood)
From: "Bill and Carol Rogers" <milward@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 21:58:25 -0700
Being a simple engineer I got confused about talking wheels and tires under
the heading of Rich Wilton's request for a hood.  My reply about the max
size of wheels/tires that can fit a stock body generated some responses.
The stock steel wheel was 4 1/2 J ie 4.5" wide where the tire fits (Factory
homologated rim width 116.5mm).  Optional Mag alloy wheels were 127mm (5")
or 140mm (5 1/2") as registered with FIA.  Those are the Minilites in all
the rally pictures, except in snow when they used narrow steel wheels.
When I got my hands on B9472703 it had 5 1/2" steel wheels dated '65 and
'66 fitted with Tigerpaws - obviously the only thing that should touch the
ground on a stock Tiger.  (I wonder if the concourse judges mark people
down for no Tigerpaws?)  Stock rolling radius is 11.5"  I have never read
anything about these wider wheels.  PO (or OO Original Owner, my bro-in
-law) bought them in the LA area.

When I fitted Pirelli CN36 185/70HR13 rolling radius changed to 11.0".  In
about 1988 I was looking for Minilites to put on the car.  They were not
available but Brit manufacturer "GB" made some very similar.  I had an
English buddy find out what fitted a Tiger and he sent me the 6" wide 6J13
H2's and I fitted Yoko 008's 205/60R13's. Price in '88 was 41 Brit pounds
ea plus $100 air ship for 4.

These tires have about 0.75" clearance from the rear springs and touch the
LR fender in spite of rolling the edge (no flare).  Both are rolled so the
axle is off a bit.  I would rather have an occasional touch than move
spring perches.  Dave McDermott suggested adjusting the Panhard rod which
sounds like something to try.

Other UK makers of Minilite replicas who have come on the scene since then
are a reincarnation of Minilite, (I have those on a Cooper S), Minilight,
Minator and or course the similar? Panasport over here.  I am not sure what
people count as "offset" but the CL of the GB's is about 1/2" inboard of
the mounting face.

Bill Rogers