Fast Tach

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fast Tach
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 22:11:44 -0400
At 07:31 am 8/6/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Help!  I just finished changing the points on my Mark 1,
>and it runs great.  It's amazing that it was running at all
>before...it seemed to have no gap at all.  One question,
>though.  When I went for a ride, the tachometer now
>indicates about twice the actual RPM than what the
>engine is turning.  It's fun pegging the needle at 6000
>rpm, but I liked it better the way it was.  I looked at the
>book and re-checked all connections, and it all looks
>OK.  Any of you out there know what I did wrong?
>
>TIA
>
>Mario
>B9471239

    If your tachometer is original then it probably has
a bad cap in it.  The replacement of the points would
have changed the pulse width picked up at the tach.
Sounds like time for a rebuild of the circuits in the tach.

Did you disconnect the wire from the ignition resistor
and reconnect it to the wrong side?  If so, you are giving
the tach a stronger pulse and you will also burn out your new
points quickly or burn up the coil.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others