Wide rear tires

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wide rear tires
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 18:26:24 -0400
At 05:38 PM 9/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Tigers
>
>The stock steel wheel was 4 1/2 J ie 4.5" wide where the tire fits (Factory
>homologated rim width 116.5mm, rolling radius 11.5").  Optional Mag alloy
>wheels were 127mm (5") or 140mm (5 1/2") as registered with FIA.  Those are
>the Minilites in all
>the rally pictures, except in snow when they used narrow steel wheels.
>
>When I fitted Pirelli CN36 185/70HR13 on 5 1/2" steel wheels, rolling
>radius changed to 11.0".  In about 1988 I was looking for Minilites to put
>on the car.  They were not
>available but Brit manufacturer "GB" made some very similar.  I had an
>English buddy find out what fitted a Tiger and he sent me the 6" wide 6J13
>H2's and I fitted Yoko 008's 205/60R13's. Price in '88 was 41 Brit pounds
>ea plus $100 air ship for 4.
>
>These tires have about 0.75" clearance from the rear springs and touch the
>LR fender in spite of rolling the edge (no flare).  Both are rolled so the
>axle is off a bit.  I would rather have an occasional touch than move
>spring perches.  Dave McDermott suggested adjusting the Panhard rod which
>sounds like something to try.  These are as wide as any tires I have seen
>on a Tiger without flares.
>
>Bill Rogers

        I have 235-50-13 TA radials on  8" wide wheels on the rear of
my Tiger II.  The wheels are the stock wheels with a band welded in
to make the change from 4.5 to 8".  My fenders are not flaired in the
usual sense of the word. That is no cutting, welding or bondo involved.
I simply rolled the inner lip as many Tiger owners do.
I removed the Tiger II SS wheel well trim  and then I then used a
scissor jack and a couple of 2 by 4 boards to stretch the fenders out
a bit.  One 2 by 4 was up against the frame and the inner sheet metal
while the other board was against the inner lip of the fender.
I contured the outer board to fit the inner finder a bit. The
scissor jack was between the 2 boards.  I took several "pushs"  with
slightly relocated boards to get the fender well out where I could clear
the tires.  I did dent the fender well edge here and there, but the
SS Tiger II wheel well trim does a good job of hiding my goofs.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others