351W heads on 302 Marine Motor

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 351W heads on 302 Marine Motor
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 22:49:01 -0400
Tigers,
        Thought you might be interested in the following data from my 1976 302
boat motor.  The following part numbers are from Ford Power Products Parts list
for Gasoline Marine Engine Jan 1977. Note that the marine 302 engine comes
standard
with 351W heads and a 4 barrel Holly carb.
Cylinder Assy 6009 ( short block) 71/76 D5JE-6009-ABA 4V Standard Rotation
Cylinder Assy 6009 ( short block) 77/   D7JE-6009-GAUA 4V Standard Rotation
Cylinder Head Assy                77/   D7OZ-6049-CC
Cylinder Head Bolts               74/   C20Z-6065-A and C20Z-6065-B
Cylinder Head Gaskets             71/   D7JE-6051-BB and D7JE-6051-AB
Cam Shaft                         71/   D2JE-6250-BA Standard Rotation
Valve Spring                      77/   DOOZ-6513-B Intake
Valve Spring                      77/   DOOZ-6513-A3A Exhaust
Push Rod                          71/76 C90Z-6565-B Standard 6.905 Long
Push Rod                          71/   DOOZ-6565-C .060 Undersize
Push Rod                          71/   DOOZ-6565-D .060 Oversize
        My boat motor used Hydralic lifters.
Salt water cooled exhaust manifolds failed and I had to rebuild it twice due to
salt water in the cylinders.  Finally sold the boat.

  I rebuilt the original Tiger II 289 several years ago.
         I used the old Marine Cam in my 289/351W head motor and the tork
was great.
I used generic 351W rebuilt heads that I had planed down so that both sides
matched in CC.  Ported the heads a bit.  Spent $1000 at the doctor getting
steel chips
out of my eye as a result.  ( This was with safty glasses and goggles too.)
I drilled the steam holes in the block to match the 351W head gaskets
as was recommended at that time. I used the original 289 head bolts with no
problem.
I did buy a set of the special 302/351W bolts and they are still in the
original package.
Used Pop up PAW cast pistons for a total of measured 10.5
static compression.  Also threaded the heads for studs and push rod guides.
Used PAW studs and they were too soft.  Rocker arm wore one in two and it
failed.  Replaced with Mr. Gasket studs and no more problems.
First Used PAW "hardened push rods" and they almost wore in two.
Replaced with 302 hardened push rods from Ford MotorSports.
I did not notice any problem with the push rod length.
Used cheap PAW lifters and they were terrible.  At high RPM ,say at an autocross
run, they made a terrible clacking noise for a few minutes after the run.
Used Edelbrock 4 barrel intake with 1860 Holly carb. The motor was a lot
stronger than the
original 289; but I had to go bigger so now I have the 351C in my Tiger.
The 289 with
351 heads sets under my work bench now.

Recommend that you use PAW parts for a 49 ford junker but nothing else!

        Check with your local Ford Marine/Industral engine dealer to get the
special parts
or information on a 302/351W head motor.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others