Re:

To: anitabrt@mindspring.com
Subject: Re:
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:54:53 -0700
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:31:30 -0400 Anita Barrett
<anitabrt@mindspring.com> writes:

>  When Ford was changing
>from 260 to
>289 cubes they had several 289 blocks that were bored to only the 260
>bore.
>I assume the Tigers got some of these blocks.  All "true" 260 blocks
>had 2 freeze plugs per side and the inner edge of the block ( at the
>head mounting surface) was scalloped while the 289 block, bored to
>either
>260 size or 289 size was more streight.

Paul Reisentz showed me two blocks, one a Tiger 260 and one a 5 bolt
289.  Like all the knowlegable Tiger people have been saying, there is
a definite difference.  Some 260's can be bored to 289 but it must be
hit or miss.  A Tiger I stock motor is a true 260.  It has 3 freeze
plugs.
260s did come with 2 freeze plugs and the narrow motor mount bosses
but I don't think any came in Tigers, if they did it would only be in
real
early cars.  Norm says in his book that even he bored his 260 and
RUINED it.  After seeing two blocks side by side, I believe him!
If anyone tried the trick today, he would have to be nuts.

Gary Winblad
B9470622