Rear end info

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear end info
From: CEJLNCAR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:53:44 -0400 (EDT)
I am doing some work on the Tiger rear end.  A couple questions for the
group.
Wheel bearing: the bearing on there are 14130X. The 14130 are much easier to
find.  The X denotes a smaller chamfer on the edge against the axle stop.
 Will the 14130 work just as well or do I need the X version with the smaller
chamfer.

It started out as a simple repacking job but all the bearing have pits in
them.  As long as I'm replacing the bearing how about a different ratio .
  The question is can I set up the pinion depth and ring gear back lash
myself.  The Sept. 97 issue of 4-wheel and off-road has a pretty good
pictorial on gear setup for the Dana 44.  The 4-wheel drive crowd uses Dana
44's in Broncos, Jeeps, Scouts, etc.
The two methods I have seen for pinion depth are using a pinion depth tool to
get the 2.625 + the marking on the end of the pinion.  The other seems to be
to use the setup on the old gears, (number on the pinion) and add or subtract
shims to equal the numbers on the new pinion.
Plenty more details of course and some special tools but has anybody
completed the setup and how much time did it take.
Or maybe just pay the $150 and let the experts do it.

Reider Racing seems to have some pretty good prices. About $290 including new
bearing, flange and the setup stuff ($150 for the gears).  I found a used set
for $120 but for $30 more I might as well have new.  Any other suggestions
for new parts.

Charlie Nichols
CEJLNcar@aol.com