Heater Cores

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Heater Cores
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:21:09 -0400
At 02:39 PM 9/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-09-19 08:47:08 EDT, laifman@flash.net (Steve Laifman)
>writes:
>
><< ruce,
>
> You have brought up a very interesting, and here-to-fore unconsidered,
> point. The Tiger radiator cap also limits the maximum system pressure to
> 14 psi to protect the heater from "bulging" into an interference fit in
> it's housing.
>
>  >>
>I have run a 17 psi cap for years.......yep the cheap ass heater core endcaps
>do bulge, but they were checked and any questionable joints were re secured
>(in the bulged mode), and no problems have ever developed.
>I am not certain that the above is true for all cars.  I had another Tiger
>that popped a seam in the heater core.  Again, it was re soldered, and served
>for years.
>BTW.......do you guys take out the heater cores a lot??
>Ray

Ray,
        Your radiator repairman should be kicked good and hard. He did not
repair your core correctly.  The end cap should have been removed and
streightened.  There is a ridge going across the center of the end cap.
There is a piece of brass inside the end cap that was originally
soldered to the inside of the ridge (and to the core) to prevent the bulge
problem.
It is difficult to sweat solder the brass piece to the inner side of the
end cap, but it can be done if everything is completely clean and pre tinned.

I have 3 1/2 cores setting in my garage. One of these is from an MGB.
 The MGB core is exactly the same as the Tiger or Alpine cores.
 The 1/2 core is one that I modified to fit with the firewall moved back 6".
 Couldn't get enough air through the modified core to make it worth while
 for defogging the windshield. None presently in my Tiger.

Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others.