brake hangups (update)

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, laifman@flash.net
Subject: brake hangups (update)
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:01:52 -0700
Today I pulled off the left front wheel and removed the caliper.  The dust
seals were fried and broke when I touched them.  The pistons where stuck in
their bores because the inner seals had melted and glued themselves to the
pistons.  Put with a little care my wife and I were able to get them out
okay.  I used a thin bladed srewdriver inserted in the dust seal grove, and
a wooden dowel against the body of the caliper as the fulcrum.  It took a
while, prying a little on each side, but it finally worked and we were able
to free the pistons.  Tommorow I will clean them up and assess the
situation.  Hopefully I can reuse the caliper, and the pistons.    The
disks themselves seem okay but I will have them checked and turned at the
machine shop.  Luckily the po had bought new bearings and seals for both
front wheels and I hadn't installed them yet when this happened.
  I plan to replace the flex hoses just as a precaution and I'm drop
kicking that brake booster into the ocean.  Hopefully she will back on the
road soon, what I'm I saying Iv'e still got to do the clutch!! UGH UGH
Regards for now Armand Ritchie
                           B9470219

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie