Re: squirt

To: Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com
Subject: Re: squirt
From: RPalmerBob@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 16:02:26 -0400 (EDT)
Larry,

What's the purpose of the "oil in the sparkplug hole".  I've used it in
connection with doing a compression check to diagnose bad rings.  If you are
concerned about oiling up the cylinder bores, there are different schools of
thought there.  I heard from a usually reliable source that Navy aircraft
engine rebuilders put the pistons in the cylinders "dry".  The idea is to get
the rings to seat quicker.  Sounded like a plausible idea to me, so the next
time I built an engine I did install the pistons completely dry into
cylinders with no oil on the walls.  I certainly did not see any ill effects
from this and, possibly, the rings did seat faster.  I turned the crank over
a dozen times or so by hand before firing it up.  It is probably a lot more
important to get oil into the galleries before firing; use a hand drill
operating in reverse with a long extension and with a socket that fits the
distributer drive shaft.  The oil pump will generate a lot of back torque, so
take it easy.  Of course, you can also do this without the drill motor and
turn the shaft by hand, but that's a lot more tedious.

By the way, on the subject of piston rings, the moly alloy rings are
particularly hard to seat.  I have always had trouble getting good oil
consuption with both rings moly and I've heard the same problem with others I
know.  If you must, use the top one moly and the second standard iron.

It's always exciting firing up and driving away a project.  Hope it turns out
like you hoped for.  I'm sure you will update us with your progress.

Bob