Alpine Steering box

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Alpine Steering box
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:42:57 -0400
Tigers,
        Sorry this is not about Tigers, but as I am not in the Alpine mail
list.
I thought someone might be and pass it on if it is worth while.
        I checked the oil in my Alpine steering box and found that it was
"light tan cream". The oil fill for the steering box is plugged with a plastic
plug that can be pried out with a screw driver.  I used a
syrenge (spel?) to empty the oil and found that a lot of water was mixed in
with the oil.  After getting as much as possible out, I used gasoline ( I know
it is dangerous) to clean the remaining crud/cream out.  I used the syrenge
to squart(spel?) the gas and crud mixture several times in the steering box
until
I finally had a clean steering box.  I refilled with 90 weight rear end oil.
I assume the problem was due to the NACA ducts that I previously had in the
hood.
 These ducts allowed rain to fall directly on the steering box.  I assume the
 rain leaked in around the plastic plug.
        Recommendation for Alpine folks: Pry the plastic plug out of your
steering box and check the oil. If you have holes in the hood for cooling
you may have water in your steering box.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others ( including V6 Alpine)