Wiews and Amps Correction

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wiews and Amps Correction
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:30:11 -0400
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:22:16 -0400
To: tigers@autox.team.net
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Wires and Amps
Sender: owner-tigers@autox.team.net

At 03:20 PM 10/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I ran into a similar problem so I'm piling on another question.  My car
>was all stock stuff but I added an amp meter where does that go?  and
>where does the ignition light then end up?
>
>> ----------

Larry and Parlee,
        Assuming the # 3 terminal of your ignition switch is hot only
when you turn to start then that is one end of the connection that will
be used to activate the starter solenoid.  This is a white with brown stripe
on my Tiger II.  The wire that goes to the coil side of the ignition resistor
is white with blue stripe.  If you look at the square end of the solenoid
with the small terminals away from you then the following applies:
        The starter cable ( big) is on the left large terminal.
        The Battery cable (big) is on the right terminal.

        The small stud on the front right (white/blue stripe) connects
to the coil side of the ignition resistor.

        (This white blue lead should be hot only when the starter solenoid
is engauged.
        You must temporarly disconnect the ignition wire on the ignition
        resistor to check this with a volt meter)

        The small stud on the front left(white/ brown stripe) connects to the
start terminal of the ignition switch (#3 maby).

To connect up an Amp meter I spliced the amp meter in series with the #10 gauge
(brown) wire that previously went directly from the alternator output to the
battery terminal of the starter solenoid.  I spliced in #10 gauge wire to extend
the connections to the alternator in the dash.  BE SURE TO INSULATE WITH A
RUBBER
GROMMET, the feed through the firewall.  If an ampmeter wire shorts out,
then you have a dead battery short and surely a fire few seconds later!

Be sure you have a good ampmeter as 30 to 60 amps will flow through it
at times.  Solder and insulate all wire splices.  Make sure the connections
to the ampmeter are solid, otherwise the back of the ampmeter may heat up.
This series connection works like this:
        When the alternator is charging the battery current flows into the
battery
and through the AMP METER (not alternator, sorry bout that) in the "charge"
direction.
 When the alternator is not working enough, current flows the other way through
the ampmeter to the alternator indicating discharge.
        The Idiot lite is in parallel with a resistor and both are in series
with the
"field" of the alternator.  When the alternator is not charging much, the
regulator
sends more voltage to the field through the resistor/lamp.  When enough
flows the
light comes on.  The installation of an amp gauge has no effect on the idiot
light function or circuit.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others