Missing

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Missing
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 22:22:12 -0400
At 11:36 PM 10/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone help with this problem?
>
>My 260 Tiger has started to act up and seems to be getting progressively
>worse.  It starts and idles fairly well, but at slow speeds with even
>throttle pressure it skips and misfires.  If it's floored it accelerates
>pretty well.
>
>Since it doesn't do it under all conditions I assume it's maybe fuel related.
> I rebuilt the carb about 5 yrs (approx. 15,000 miles) ago and it's run well
>ever since.  I've recently changed plugs and checked points and dwell.  Any
>suggestions?
>
>I appreciate any suggestions and thank all advance.    Mark

Cool,
     I had the same problems several times.  #1 below was the normal
reason before I put a gas filter close to the carb.  Also had the problem
after the installation of the filter when I wrapped the inlet fuel
connection with teflon tape.  Had a tiny piece of teflon in a main jet.
Also had an ant in the main jet once.  How it got in I will never know.
          1. Had crud in the main jets of the carb. Running too lean
as a result.  If floored the power valve opens and gives more fuel, bypassing
the main jets causing smooth running. Clean carb and put an inline filter
close to the carb intake.
        2. I also had the vacuum advance fail. Not leaking, but the
internal stop broke so that at light load the timing became way to
far advanced.  This caused miss fire which backed off the vacuum
and then it repeated.  It was frustating to find.   If floored the
vacuum was low so not so much advance and it ran fine.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others