silicone brake fluid problems

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: silicone brake fluid problems
From: jdhugg@frii.com (Jonathan)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:35:32 -0600 (MDT)
When I last rebuilt my clutch hydraulics, I used NAPA DOT 5 silicone brake
fluid to refill, all components being clean, dry and empty.  granted that
was about six or seven years ago, but when my clutch system developed a leak
this week, and I refilled and bled it, I was surprised to find a layer of
murky water at the bottom of the bleed jar.  I thought silicone was not
hygroscopic (moisture absorbing).  Anyone have similar experiences?

 Also the reason I didn't use silicone in the brakes at that time was the
rumor that the brake light switch in the tiger which allowed current to pass
through the brake fluid, caused polymerization of the silicone, resulting in
a gum forming inside the lines at that point.  Is this a myth or fact?
Never been able to confirm or deny it.

Doug Huggins
Colorado Springs