Lucas light identification

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lucas light identification
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:57:17 -0700
Hey everyone!

I was lucky enough to run across a set of Lucas driving lamps tonight and
bought them for a song.  I've seen these before but am not familiar with
the model designation nor the vintage.  I'm hoping someone out there can
help me identify these things.

The diameter of the reflector area behind the lens appears to be
approximately 5 inches.  The lamps have the little chrome bullets in the
center of  the lens.  The lenses are clear and smooth, not fluted like a
headlight.  The lenses have the name "Lucas" just over the chrome bullet
and, towards the bottom of the face, have the letters and numbers "LR 576"
with "M5" under that.  The lights have chrome bodies and they each have a
small chrome piece at the center top of each lamp that says "Lucas" in very
small red letters.  On the back of each lamp there are the letters and
numbers "Lucas...S.L.R.576...Made in England" stamped into the body.  The
lamps also came with blue nylon covers with the name "Lucas" on them, along
with the Lucas "lion" logo as well.  One other thing; one of the lamps
appears to be cocked slightly to one side on its base.  I can't tell if it
was made that way or is bent.  It does not appear to have been damaged and
I cannot get the lamp to swivel or move at all on the base.  It appears to
me, however, that if this lamp were to be mounted like this, it would not
sit straight up on the car.  These lamps look period correct to me but I
just don't really know what I have here.  Can someone help?

Thanks,
Andy Walker
B382001600