Re: engine/trans compatability ?

To: laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: engine/trans compatability ?
From: Carmods <Carmods@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 21:43:48 EST
The following is to  answer some of the questions I have gotten about
installing a stock Borg Warner T-5 five speed  from a Mustang into a Tiger. A
more detailed article will appear in the next "ROOTES REVIEW" of Tigers East
/Alpines East.

If you are willing to move the shift lever rearward and to the top of the
tunnel, you can use;

· a 289 or 302 six bolt block with the stock Mustang T-5 transmission,
flywheel housing, It’s modern diaphragm clutch and shift lever with out
modifications

·  the stock Tiger clutch pedal and master cylinder

· the  rear transmission isolator and speedometer cable and drive

· the stock Tiger driveshaft

What sheet metal changes are required?

They consist of;

· moving  the center of the seat riser crossmember rearward  2 inches to clear
the  shift tower

· raising the center of the transmission tunnel 1 inch to clear the top of the
transmission

· filling in the original shift lever hole and adding a new one on top of the
tunnel closer to the seat.

These changes are not hard but require the ability to cut and weld sheet
metal. Finishing is not required since the areas will be covered by the
carpet.

.How about a Tremec transmission?

Tremec transmissions have torque capacities of  350 lb-ft  to 500 lb-ft verses
265 lb-ft to 330 lb-ft  for the World Class T-5’s . the Tremec will bolt to
Lakewood or Ford 6 bolt flywheel housings. It is however larger than the T-5
and will require some the additional minor work of widening of the rear of the
transmission tunnel and  modification to the body "X" member for the rear
mount.  Steve, from what you say, I assume the bearing retainer hole must be
machined in the flywheel housing.

Try to read the next "ROOTS REVIEW" for more information. I can give you more
help if you become seriously interested. .

John Logan