Traction Bars

To: Bill Gegg <billgegg@ci.antioch.ca.us>
Subject: Traction Bars
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:32:44 -0500
At 03:48 PM 11/12/97 -0800, you wrote:
>My Tiger has a set of weld-on traction bars and the connection at the frame
is a single shear connection.  This led me to wondering about traction bars
that bolt on the springs.  Has anyone had any experience with the bolt on
type and where can they be purchased?  Or is there a better way to reduce
axle tramp?

Bill,
        I have a set of weld on Traction Masters on my Tiger II with a 351C
in it, previously with a
Boss 302 and a 289 stock and built up .  I have never had a problem with the
weld between
 the bracket and the frame.
        However, before I had the local tractor repairman weld then on, I
drilled the bracket and
frame and then tapped the frame for about a 1/2 " bolt.( to keep everything
located while
welding).  (The weld looks terrible, but it works)
        Suggest you add a bolt if you are worried about the weld in shear.
          The only problem ( other than bushings wearing out once)  I have
had is when
I took my Tiger in for tires and the dumb S.O.B. used the Traction Masters
as the lift point
for a car lift. Bent one bar, which I was able to streighten out later.
         I have hit the gas quite hard a few times and I have minimal wheel
hop.
 The Traction Masters have been on since mid 1970s.
        I also have a set of slapper bars from another Tiger.  They are very
heavy and
appear to reduce ground clearance a lot. Have never used them myself.
        Prior to putting the Traction Masters on, at an autocross ( with the
Boss 302)
I actually bradded the lip of the rear U joint yoke so bad I didn't think I
would ever
get the U joint out.  I also dented both shocks in the middle when the rear end
wound up so tight.  I had "really, really, really" bad wheel hop!
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others