Re: SS Rust Repair

To: Larry Paulick <larry@netkonnect.net>
Subject: Re: SS Rust Repair
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 20:20:05 -0500
At 03:14 PM 11/16/97 +0000, you wrote:
>How are you going to keep the paint on?  Also, why not just use
>galvinized sheet metal?  Easier to weld similar metals, and no paint
>problem, with rust protection.
>
>Larry

Larry,
        I used some galvinized sheet metal on a couple of Alpines.
Galvinized is terrible to weld.  First the zinc blows the weld away
or it globs up and then the fumes from the burning zinc make me
very ill for a few weeks.  Sort of like a very bad case of the flu,
If I use enough fan power to blow the fumes away then the
air also blows the argon from the weld. ( Using MIG).
Can't win for loosing with galvinized.  I do not have one of those
very expensive masks with filters that can fit under my welding
helment.  I also have trouble getting paint to stick to galvinized.
(That is, cheap spray paint)
        If I have trouble getting the paint to stick to SS  then maby OSPHO
will be used to etch it a bit if necessary.
Jim