Re: Ford 6 blade fans

To: David Franchi <wwwdg@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Ford 6 blade fans
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:40:49 +0100
David,

My mistake in reading the number too quickly, and not recognizing the
"C4" vs "C9".

I did not know there ever was a "Stock" Ford 1" hub (see below), I
thought that was a Tiger only manufacture, although a "REAL" LAT option
would have the 1" hole from the Los Angeles Tigers.

Comparing your dimensions, it would appear the C9 has a bigger bite, and
throws more air than the C4. Positioned at the same hub spacing, the C9
would stick out of the shroud more (although mine does not stick out
1/3). Your observation about the closeness of the rack with the settling
of the mounts matches my previous warning. Don't think the mounts are
worn-out as much as settled in, as they do "creep" under load for a
while. I am surprised that a real LAT option would not have done some
trimming to allow for normal motor mount sag, but a lot of LAT stuff was
made from whatever was available. BTW: the trim does NOT have to be
uniform across the entire blade to clear the rack, just over where the
rack is, but keeping this uniform between blades to preserve balance is
critical.

Do you know if this was the original LAT, or that the 1" hole was made
after the original Ford purchase? I do seem to remember something about
an early Lincoln with a 1" hub. but unsure of the information source.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >