No use stroking them and saying Puss, Puss, Puss....

To: tiger club <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: No use stroking them and saying Puss, Puss, Puss....
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 21:40:54 -0500
This is an interesting item concerning our favorite namesake.

Tiger eats hunter

 VLADIVOSTOK, Russia (Reuters) - A tiger attacked and ate a hunter in
 Russia's Far East, leaving only a chewed skull and part of a leg,
Interfax news
 agency said Tuesday.

 It quoted the regional branch of the State Ecology Committee in the
port city
 of Vladivostok as saying the tiger had attacked the man on Saturday
near the
 upper reaches of the Bikin River in the Primorsky region.

 Interfax said an order had been issued to shoot the tiger.

(Here's where I have to ask, "What the hell is there worth hunting in
that area? Tigers? Making this guy....you got it! A poacher! Fair
turnabout if you ask me! pb)

 All hunters and fishermen in Russia's Far East are warned that
man-eating
 tigers roam the area but a few isolated attacks are reported each year.
In one
 case a woman and a man were attacked on the way to a railway station
last
 year.

 Siberian, or Amur, tigers live in the taiga of the Primorsky region in
Russia's
 far southeastern corner sandwiched between China and the Sea of Japan.

 Experts say there are only about 400 Siberian tigers left in the region
 because of hunting for their skins, bones and meat.