TIG

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TIG
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 14:58:56 -0500
Tiger Folks,
        I am trying to repair my Tiger and have a need for a
small TIG setup.  I don't care to spend over $1000 for a regular
setup.  I have modified my MIG with a tungsten  electrode mounted
in a drilled out wire feed tip.  It works (after changing polarity); but
I need a high voltage to start the arc.  Touching the tungsten
electrode to the steel messes up the electrode. I need a spark to occur
from the electrode to the steel at startup without touching the electrode
 to the steel. I have attempted to build a high voltage setup, but no luck yet.

The DC impedance of my MIG is 20 ohms to ground ( with power off)
 and it puts out 20 volts open circuit. When I put a 15kHz. high voltage on
the circuit, the voltage is killed by the low impedance.   All the isolation
filters I can think of are either too big or they can not take the current
during welding.

 I have been unable to get any information on the details of a
commerical high voltage circuit for a TIG. I called  the FCC to
try to find out the legal frequency high voltage frequency, but they
 said that they could only look up frequiences if I gave them the call
 sign numbers. Stupid!  I have also searched the internet with no luck.

If any of you Tiger owners have info on a high voltage RF start up
circuit for a TIG I could use the info.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others