TIG starter

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TIG starter
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 15:04:15 -0500
Tiger Folks,
        Three responces so far but no answers yet
as to how  the HV starting circuit for a TIG welder
is designed.
My MIG does not use rectifiers for the main
current.  It uses a saturable reactor and a big filter.
The output schematic is:

    Primary AC
      _________     ________________________+V 20 volts
  Saturable       |   |                    |        |
  Reactor        ( || )                   |        >
  Main            ( || )      Filter  __|__     > Resistor
 Transformer  ( || )        Cap  ____      >
                     ( || )                   |_____>
 Control          ( || )                 || )    Reactor

Yes I do use argon.  I have heard that one can use a copper
plate as a starting "touch " surface, but that is very inconvient.

Have been using my MIG all day to weld thicker SS.

Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others