Cecil Kimber Fouled!

To: "T.J.Higgins" <jhiggin@alpine.iss.ingr.com>,
Subject: Cecil Kimber Fouled!
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 15:49:07 +0000
Rev. Morgan,

This E-Mail is being written to Rev.. Fr. Philip Morgan, author of the
article "The Man Behind the Marque: Cecil Kimber's MG Car Company,
published in the February 1998 issue of "British Heritage". British
Heritage is a Cowls Enthusiasts Media company published in the US for
world wide subscription by enthusiasts for Great Britain.

This publication, at 6 issues/year for $25.90 for US residents, is well
written, of good quality stock, pictures, and articles of interest -
however this is NOT an advertisement for this magazine.

I am specifically writing to address Phillip Morgan's article on Cecil
Kimber.

Phillip Morgan holds a B.Sc. from U. of London, B.D. from U of Wales,
Cardiff., and is an Episcopal priest in Howe Indiana. He was previously
at Swansea and Brecon. He owns two MGs and is a member of the MG Owner's
Club and the North American MGB Register.

A fine set of credentials, wouldn't you think. He also writes a good
article about Cecil, William Morris, and the history of the MG.

I have owned a brand new 1952 MG-TD, ans a founding Member of the MG Car
Club of America (a rather pretentious title for a club that only existed
in the Los Angeles Area, but a good competitor to the 4 Cylinder Club of
America, a bit more exclusive, and the FIRST MG car club in the US
(1948)

Why am I writing this? Why to give my heartfelt condolences to the good
Rev. Morgan. His fine article was liberally illustrated with 8 pictures
of MG's, and one full page color spread of three magnificent cars in
front of Hever Castle. They are identified as "A trio of vintage MG cars
on the grounds of Hever Castle". Unfortunately for the good clergyman,
who obviously did not proof the entire layout, these three cars are
Triumph Drop head's. The shame of it all. Nothing wrong with these cars.
Rather neat looking. But, they are not MG's, and reflect on Philip's
name that appears directly over them.

I believe a retraction is in order, and another car article would be a
fitting punishment for Cowles Media.

To my friends with "The British Cars of New Hampshire Monarchy", and the
editor, Joe Sousa; and to "British Marque Car Club News", and
contributing author of "My Life with Lucas", Al Johnson; "The Texas MG
Register" (Wayne Kube) and to "M.G. Drivers Club"  (Richard Miller),
"The MG T Party", Norm Jambard; "The MG Car Club - Long Island Centre"
(Virginia Slowik); "The Berkshire British Motor Club" (Paul Allen); "The
Central Pennsylvania Triumph Club" (Dick James); "The Adirondack Triumph
Association" (Pete Fullam); "British Motorcars Ltd. of New England -USA"
(Marc LeGault); "The Connecticut Triumph Register" (Sue Bartle); "The
North American MGA Registry" (Tom Howard), and about 200 more
enthusiasts, I hope you will join with me and tell the Cowles Media
Group that making "those" kind of mistakes, in a BRITISH HERITAGE
magazine, is just not to be condoned. "WE ARE NOT AMUSED", and are
particularly share the good Reverends anguish at what would otherwise
have been a fitting tribute to a great Marque founder.

Steve Laifman
California Association of Tigers (C.A.T.)
Sunbeam Tigers Owner's Association (S.T.O.A)
Tiger MkI B9472289

< One first kiss,         >
< one first love, and   >
< one first win, is all  >