Re: Alpine cam grinds, etc.

To: Steve Sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Alpine cam grinds, etc.
From: Karl Gilchrist <xtr25618701@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:24:41 +1300
Steve Sage wrote:

> Finally, has anyone ever done a 5 speed transmission in an Alpine, as
> opposed to overdrive? With the expense of overdrives what they are, it
> would be great to be able to bolt in a used trans to do the job.

Steve

Lots of the guys locally have used Toyota 5 speed boxes-These can
aparently be easily adapted to fit the Alpine bell housing and line up
perfectly. A very nice box to use (my sensible car is a Toyota) they are
also very strong - there are a few Algers floating round over here with
these boxes and they seem to have no problems  handling the (often 302)
V8 power.

My friend has just purchased a Toyota five speed box and modified
bellhousing out of a racing Alpine and I'm more than happy to post some
pictures if people are interested in what it looks like.

Karl