Re: Shift knob Interchangeability

To: tiger list <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Shift knob Interchangeability
From: pamelam@connix.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 12:24:16 -0500 (EST)
>Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 12:18:34
>To: Alvin and Lucille Johnson <johnson@ids.net>
>From: pamelam@connix.com
>Subject: Re: Shift knob Interchangeability
>
>Al,
>        There are many varieties of thread repair type inserts that would
work.
>        Helicoil is well known, yet expensive. It requires a drill bit,
special left hand thread tap, plus the insert that looks like a spring.
>        Other designs require an oversize drill, tap, and are solid metal
threaded on the ID and OD. Once they are threaded in , a couple of stakes
are gently hammered in to keep the OD thread from loosening. This is
probably the best design for a plastic knob. I like the extra security of a
little Loctite, epoxy, or super glue depending upon the type of material
the insert is bonding to.
>        Hardware stores may have both of these items, but I usually go to
a local industrial supplier that handles fasteners and/or precision tools -
like a Starrett micrometer dealer (although I am in an area that has a
large precision industry industrial base) most auto parts stores stock
inserts for spark plug holes and should be able to order the size you need.