Re: Here Comes the VIN Judge!

To: Cool VT <CoolVT@aol.com>, <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Here Comes the VIN Judge!
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:10:18
Mark,

Yes, exactly!!  And probably even when filling out the information sheet on
your car for Tigers United, as well. It seems like quite a few years ago
when I first became aware of this issue. It involved an individual I know
here in San Diego that has one of the nicest black Tigers (excuse me),
Algers around. He was disqualified from getting a trophy at some event, not
sure which one, perhaps a Tigers United, doesn't really matter.  Anyway, it
seemed a little silly to me at the time and I truly felt sorry for the guy
and shared in his indignation. Well, I know a whole lot more about the
subject now than I knew then and my attitude has changed accordingly. I'm
not sure I'd really know what to do if I were in charge of a TU or like
event. I think on the one hand that our ranks are diminished if we exclude
conversions from any meaningful participation. After all, there really are
some very nice Algers out there with nice folks as owners. We probably
shouldn't give the Lord Rootes trophy to an Alger, but beyond that I'm not
so sure. A separate category? That's a possibility. Lots of emphasis on
originality in the scoring? Certainly. I hope we don't have a repeat of the
fiasco with the judging that occurred at TUXXII; and I'm not talking about
the goose poop. But the issue of how much weight to put on originality
drove a wedge that divided the organizers and resulted in a very ad hoc,
impromptu concours event. I would support having the "Stock" class judged
on the basis that, if you could have a time machine deliver a Tiger just as
it came off the showroom floor, it would score %100 percent (well, OK,
maybe extra points for authentic LAT options). At the other end of the
scale, the Modified class would be pretty much wide open and even, perhaps,
include Algers. I personally have no problem with that and I'm in Modified
class, as is the current Lord Rootes car (Tom Hall's). Now, as long as I'm
on the subject of the Lord Rootes trophy, let's admit it; the winner has
always been decided completely on the basis of the popular vote. So the
club with the largest participation is going to select the winner. Maybe we
need to rethink how we this too. It will be interesting to see how well CAT
does with TUXXIII. Undoubtedly there will be some complaints; there always
are. I'm just afraid that if we don't stop complaining so much we'll run
out of people foolish enough to run them.

Just a few rambling thoughts before my second cup of coffee.

Best regards to all,

Bob

At 12:42 AM 1/28/98 EST, you wrote:
>I guess the question would be, "If and when the car is sold do you tell the
>purchaser that he is buying an Alpine body?"   Mark L.

Bob Palmer
UCSD, AMES Dept.
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu