Springs and conversions

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Springs and conversions
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 19:08:20 -0600
Guys,

The 70's Toyota Hilux pickup had front springs that worked well with the
Tiger for autocrossing; the rear spring leaves could be used as well.
The front springs were in the 400#/in range, but I don't remember the rear
specs.
Conversions:  why don't you guys have stock cars for the Lord Rutabaga
Trophy, and let the other chips fall where they may?
I've seen some conversions that are, frankly, beautiful and I know of one
conversion that has a TAC number (oops).  The lousy cars won't win.
The cars were converted Alpines in the beginning, and while I have feeling
for my car as an original, I also know, intellectually, that the cars were
sort of cobbled together and not fully developed.  Frankly, I'm not sure
that the early 240Z isn't more of a classic as far as an original design is
concerned.
Having said the above, I'll say again what I said when Norm was interviewed
for a magazine article some years ago, and bloviated at length about
original cars, "The Tiger is/was an underdeveloped design that well thought
out modifications have made better over the intervening years".
Ray
(with at least five stock parts on my car)