seats

To: "TIGERLIST" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: seats
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:41:57 -0500
jay peterson wrote:
>I am looking for some different seats to put in my Tiger and after a
>trip to local boneyard I have a question about Fiero seats.

Jay:
        I don't know about Fiero seats, but I once put a set of Huntmaster Targa
Recliners in my old S V Alpine. Had to remove the console due to the width
of the seats.
        While comfort & support issues might drive you to using other seats, one
thing to consider is that headrests look a bit out of place (or at least
out of period) in a Sunbeam (although I expect when I next drive the Garage
Queen, with the roll bar right behind my head, I'll wish I had 'em). YMMV.
Are the Fiero's headrests removable?
        I've swapped seats in cars before; a key thing to avoid are tracks that
are welded in. Also, a quick trick for figuring width would be to measure
from the centerline of the steering column to the edge of the console and
multiply by two to arrive at a max width for any seat you get; you don't
want to end up with an offset mounting, even though there's a wee bit more
space between the seat and the door panel.
        The most successful swap job I've done was in a '65 Ford Fairlane sedan;
Volvo 142 seats in front and '65 Fairlane _wagon_ seats (with folding
mechanism) in back. Comfortable, and the owner could carry several bicycles
in back using the pass-through.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com