Crossmember Bolt Tech Tip---A new Thought

To: Bill Martin <bmartin@kibo.Stanford.EDU>, Frank Marrone
Subject: Crossmember Bolt Tech Tip---A new Thought
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 03:14:53 -0800
        Since everyone is concerned about the these long bolts, why not
modify the ones you already have?  I remember these bolts when I removed the
front crossmember in my Old 65 series IV after the motor melted.  If all you
are concerned with the is adding a a lock nut to the very end of the bold
(assuming it is sticking out of the top of the bolt hole on the frame rail),
to help hold things in place....if I understand the concerns here.  Why not
just take the proper Die (opposite of a Tap), and spin down on the threads
of the original bolt (hopefully removing NO materieal), and have a decent
Metal shop weld on a good quality extension to the the bolt.  Then......use
the Die to cut new threads on the extension (this is why you put the die on
first so there's perfect alignment with the existing threads).  Since this
piece of the bolt is only being used for tensile stregth (pulling, with no
side loading) cut threads should be fine.

        However, if the concern is that these high strength bolts are 30+
years old and may have fatigued, this won't hlep, so please
disregard......However again....if the fatigue is the concern have the bolts
magnifluxed to ensure that there are no defects on the surface or internally
in the bolt.  Since NO new or NOS bolts are available, this may be your only
choiices.

Just trying to help, and reminissing over the old days.....When I had one
8-(

Rich