Re: Rear End Color

To: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Subject: Re: Rear End Color
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 10:43:56
Tom,

Don't know how much of your clean motor to credit to the glyptol, or just
the fact that (I'm sure) you used good quality oil and changed it
frequently. However, I too have used glyptol for this purpose with good
results. I would like to caution anyone considering painting the insides of
their engine DO NOT USE RED OXIDE PRIMER!!!, e.g., rustoleum. The hot oil
slowly dissolves the red oxide, which of course is an abrasive, and eats
away at the friction surfaces. Also, never use glass bead or sand media to
clean any interior engine surface (e.g., the underside of the intake
manifold, etc.) I've learned these and other lessons the hard way. More
than any previous engine I've built, my current engine's oil stays clean
and my solid lifter adjustments remain stable for long periods which I
attribute to reduction of wear through cleanliness of assembly and sealing
of the cast iron surfaces with glyptol.

Regards,

At 11:36 PM 2/25/98 -0800, you wrote:
>For those inquiring minds:
>
>Glyptal 1201 Red Enamel (is) was produced by General Electric, use
>primarily as an electrical insulating material.  Application was by brush,
>spray (with appropriate Thinner) flow or dipping.  The most frequent use
>was dipping of transformer core & coil assemblies.
>
>Other than the possible use by Salisbury division of Dana Corp. on the
>center castings of Tiger rear ends, the most practical use has been on the
>inside of high performance engines.  I painted my ski boat engine  over 28
>years ago, and when it finally gave up with a cracked piston skirt last
>summer, there was absolutely no sludge buildup inside the motor.  Just as
>clean as it was when assembled long ago.  My quart of Glyptal, used on that
>motor is still in good condition after stirring and proper agitation.  This
>is the kind of great product we un-knowingly lose in the name of the
>environment.
>
>It was available from industrial suppliers as little as 5 years ago but the
>current EPA and air quality regulations probably preclude finding it
>anywhere in California.
>
>Tom

Bob Palmer
UCSD, AMES Dept.