Tigers United XXIII, June 26, 27, 28 1998!!!!! Here's Some Info!

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tigers United XXIII, June 26, 27, 28 1998!!!!! Here's Some Info!
From: Steve Sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 22:52:28 -0800
Hello Everyone In The Sunbeam Universe:

Sorry for the delay but here's most of the preliminary information that
I've had in Tiger Tales (our newsletter, for those who don't know) and
the additional info that will be in the upcoming April issue.

Tigers United XXIII will be held June 26, 27 and 28 (Friday, Saturday
and Sunday), at Big Bear Lake, California.

Event headquarters is the beautiful Northwoods Resort in Big Bear Lake.
This is a modern, very nicely appointed hotel located right in the newer
area of town in a shopping and dining resort area. There is plenty of
parking, including space right across the street for trailers.

If you are planning on coming, and we hope you are, make your hotel
reservations as soon as possible.
Sixteen rooms have been reserved already by Rootesers and we don't want
to run out. Sixty rooms have been  reserved for us and will be held
until June 11. Rates until then are $79 per night. After that, I'm not
sure what the rates are but they will be higher. Also, the hotel will
not guarantee they'll hold rooms for our event past that date, so make
your reservations soon. The phone number for hotel reservations is
(800)866-3121. Tell them you are with Tigers United or the Sunbeam
event. Be sure to ask for a "pool side" room if keeping an eye on your
car in the nearby parking lot is important to you. There are only so
many of these, so don't procrastinate. Also, be sure to specify a
smoking or non-smoking room.

Primary events will take place on Saturday and Sunday but Jane, Carrie
the CAT dog and I will set things up starting Friday. The primary Friday
evening "thing" will be registration, tall tale telling about Tigers,
Alpines and other Rootes cars, and a Rootes video show in the
"hospitality suite" (mainly our hotel room, into which we'll cram as
many people who will fit in to watch the movies!). Late arrivals will be
able to register on Saturday morning.

Saturday, the main events get underway with the concours and swap meet
and vendor sales in the morning. Both will take place in the hotel
parking lot. Lunch will be supplied. Next is everyone's "favourite", the
Sunbeam/Tiger Quiz. As I have determined to NOT be the author of said
Quiz this year, the many "fans" of my past efforts in this area should
be very well pleased!!!!! Next, in the afternoon, will be the Rally, in
which we'll all drive around following clues and screwball directions
(if past history is any indication!) in the scenic mountain countryside
past lots of interesting things and sights. The final Saturday event is
the Sunbeam dinner buffet banquet, at the hotel. We're working on
rustling up an interesting speaker or two and other fun to entertain us.

Sunday's main events will of course be the Autocross, taking place at
Big Bear Airport,  (The authorities have promised to not direct planes
to land on the runways that we'll be competing on!), lunch is supplied,
and the Sunday night awards dinner. The later afternoon is open to your
own explorations of the area. The hotel is within walking distance of
many shops and sights and only a couple of blocks from the lake. You
must let us know your food choices, where applicable, which will be on
the new entry forms going out in the next Tiger Tales and STOA Tiger
Tracks issues.

NOTE: It is planned that the Sunday dinner and awards will take place
early enough, and be wrapped up early enough, so that southern
California residents can possibly make it home that night if they wish,
and not have to miss any of the festivities.

Big Bear Lake is in the San Bernardino Mountains, at about 8,000 feet,
two and a half hours east of Los Angeles. Make sure your brakes are
working well as this is a real mountain area. You might want to bring
some motion sickness antidotes along if you are prone to this as the
roads up and down have many twists and turns, along with some
spectacular views! Don't forget alternate carb. jet sizes for the
altitude if your car needs a "tweak". Weather there in June is usually
quite warm during the days (it can range into the 80s) but nights can
get very cool so bring both types of appropriate clothing. This is of
course a casual, fun event so, if you wish, you may leave your tuxedos
and formal evening wear with your butlers and valets at your estates!

PLEASE NOTE: All Sunbeam enthusiasts, club members or not,  are welcome
and invited to come. If you don't have access to an entry form, E-mail
us with your mailing address to       rootes@ix.netcom.com      and one
will be sent out to you promptly.

As we've said, this is a Tigers United event to honor the Sunbeam Tiger.
However, ALL Rootes enthusiasts and cars are welcome. Tigers only will
be competing for the Lord Rootes Trophy. In addition, though, there will
be classes for series Alpines (I-V), Tiger conversions, and one for all
other Rootes cars.  If, for some weird reason, your Sunbeam or other
fine Rootes Group automobile isn't running, you can tag along in
whatever the heck you're driving! All events (excluding only Lord Rootes
Trophy competition)  including the concours, rally, quiz and autocross,
are open to all paid entrants.

Comments, questions, suggestions (HA!) and insults may be E-mailed to
our web address at:

rootes@ix.netcom.com

You can also call us at:(310)793-6631 or write to us at: 20820 Anza Ave.
#124, Torrance, California, 90503

We would like you to, if you are attending or not, send a photo of you
and your Rootes cars, and a caption about it, to us. There will be a
display at the event so everyone can see everyone's cars from all over,
and see what you look like, even if you're not there but, WE HOPE TO SEE
YOU ALL THERE!!!!!!!!

Steve, Carrie and Jane Sage