Missed opportunity

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Missed opportunity
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:14:12 -0500
     It was one of those typical Sunday evenings, with two daughters having
     major homework panics, my wife trying to get a meal together, etc.
     The phone rang, and, a few seconds later, it was handed to me.  As
     Regional Rep for Tigers East/Alpines East, I sometimes get calls from
     people asking general questions about Sunbeam topics, but this was the
     weirdest yet.

     The lady never identified herself, but she asked what I thought a
     "Tiger VIN BOOK" was worth.  "A WHAT?", I asked.  Well, I finally
     sorted out this confused lady wanted.  Apparently her husband had been
     offered $75 for a VIN plate from a Tiger, and had his wife call me to
     find out if the price was reasonable.

     Amid all my daughters' confusion about the Stamp Act, and where to put
     the pictures on a historical time line, my mind wasn't working.  I
     SHOULD have come back with some sort of line like, "Give me the number
     so that I can check it in Norman's book and see what that says.....".
     But I didn't.  I just said that I had no idea of the value, but I
     would bet that the buyer was up to something unethical, such as an
     Alger that would be passed off as the real thing.

     Anyway, here's what I know.  The VIN number is being sold is probably
     somewhere in New England, and the buyer is in Canada (Ontario?).  The
     seller has some connection to a gas station.

     The lesson?  If you hear of anything weird happening, invent some
     reason to get the VIN number, and pass it around, especially to
     Norman.  You might save someone from a big mistake.

     Stu Brennan