Heat Transfer / Thermostats

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Heat Transfer / Thermostats
From: BCARTUS <BCARTUS@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:41:07 EST
Well, I'm not going to get into an argument with you Physics majors, but what
I DO know is that when I have run my Tiger (and other cars as well)  without a
thermostat... esp when it is cool outside, the temp guage shows the engine to
be running very cool and the heater doesn't work.  In the summer months it
almost doesn't matter since the thermostat would be in the complete open
position after warm-up anyway.

I don't remember the original question, but if it was WHY we need a
thermostat, it is to provide faster warm-up of the engine and allow the heater
to work. The next question is which temp thermo to buy. I run a 190; that
seems to work well with mine. It does get hot still esp in traffic, but I
think it's more related to having the original 'in-line' heater hose sensor
not being very acurate.  And yes, I read all the postings recently on fan
blades... let's not get that one going either. My 2 cents.

Bill Cartus
65 MKI  B9471131