Aluminizing

To: CobMeister@aol.com
Subject: Aluminizing
From: Chasgee <Chasgee@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:48:46 EST
Hello fellow listers!

Although I do not want to enter into the politics of this conversation, I do
know what aluminizing is.  So....

Aluminizing is the forming of an aluminum or aluminum alloy coating on a metal
by hot dipping, hot spraying, or diffusion.

This is done to increase the corrosion resistance of regular steel, in this
case, steel tubing for exaust pipes.  It offers corrosion resistance similar
to a stainless steel (as long as the coating remains intact) for less money.
As illuded to earlier, it also allows for better tubing forming (no ripples)
than stainless tubing because the tubing still has the great ductility of the
carbon steel.

Hope this helps!

Chuck
Future Tiger Owner and Metallurgical Engineer