Re: 5 Speed Transmission

To: Wayne Pierzga <w_pierzga@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: 5 Speed Transmission
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:06:39 +0100
Wayne, and Tigers,

As I said, this question  has more controversy than rivets.  Everyone is
entitked to their opinion, and their degree of satisfaction as to what rpm is
comfortable, and how much torque capability you really need.  One thing I
didn't  discuss is the camshaft design, and int's influence on the appropriate
choice.  Everything is a compromise, and there is no ONE solution to all
requirements.  Stock and moderate street cams have a relatively flat torque
curve at the lower rpm range of 3500-4500 rpm.  The radical ones, that shake
like a wet dog at idle, can deliver a lot more horsepower, but at a much higher
rpm.  They also tend to be very "peaky", having that high torque over a narrow
and high rpm range.  In racing cars. 5 and 6 speed transmissions are used to
maintain the cars rpm in the optimum narrow range.  Most of us, but not all,
operate at a variety of conditions that differ from racing.  I personally find
that the streetable cam's torque curve are flat enough to handle a wider range
of rpm, and fewer divisions of the gearing.

So, everyone's opinion is just as valid as any other, for their own
application.  None are appropriate for all uses.  My desires are for a quick
start off the line from a dead stop, good acceleration through the gears,
ability to have a broad enough torque range to limit continuous shifting,  and
"reasonable" cruising rpm.  My feeling is that 78 mph at 3000 rpm is reasonable
for my driving style, the engine's capability with a stock or mild cam and 4
barrels.  Certainly there are other conditions requiring different solutions.  I
once won a hill climb in my MG-TD by staying in first gear at 6500 rpm (no
synchro first, so once your shift, your stuck).  While I won the best time of
day, I also "ate" a valve going home.  No free lunch.

Wayne, I'll get back to you with some more answers to your direct questions.
Dan Wiliams carries all the parts, but I have other sources as well, as soon as
I look them up.  Where are you located, I may have some recommendations for a
mechanic.  Oh yes, you can do this job without taking the engine out of the car.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >