5-Speed

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 5-Speed
From: "STEPHEN SALATA USAET(UTC -04:00)" <ssalata.ford@e-mail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:10:10 EDT
For what its worth... I run a Doug Nash (now Richmond) Street 5-spd
with a non-roller 302.  The trans requires no tunnel modifications
for clearance.  The only changes were a new drive shaft (to accommodate
the larger GM u-joints), and a new crossmember to fit the GM trans
mount (I didn't want to cut up the stock crossmember), and relocate the
shifter about 3" back/left.
The D-N is about the strongest trans available, but shifting is a bit
notchy.  Ratios of 3.18 (1st) and 1.0 (5th) work great with the 2.88
axle and short 195/60HR15 tires, giving about 2800 RPM at 65 MPH.
However, it will only work with a 6-bolt bellhousing unless you weld
up a special mounting on a 5-bolt housing (I did this previously
with success), and it uses a GM splined clutch disc.