shiny

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: shiny
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:41:50 -0400
Steve Laifman wrote:
>To all you Tigers who count screws,
(snip!!!)
>Heck, maybe Curt, Rick, or TT have already done this "Stainless Kit"
upgrade
>already, and I just don't know it.

Great idea, Steve. I've already switched about every fastener I could find,
other than engine internal or suspension, to stainless; they don't buff up
quite like chrome, but will surely look better 5-10 years down the road--
and they'll be easier to remove, then, too. For interior trim, mounting the
heater blower, the bolts for retaining the fuel crossover pipe, and the
like, the lessened strength of the SS bolts won't be that important.

As far as listing the screw & bolt count, I got a fax from a List member
about 2 years ago with many of the sizes for Tiger fasteners. Alas, I think
it's in a binder that I have out on loan. Perhaps the gentleman (why am I
so bad w/names??) will volunteer again to  provide this.

I somehow remember using a _lot_ of , hmmmm, 1/4-28x1" bolts all over the
car; so I bought a box of 100 of those. I also grabbed, at the local
hardware store close-out, a box of the 1/4-28 in a really short length,
perhaps 3/8" long. I have not found many uses for them yet, but at 50 cents
per 100....

One thing about most hex-head bolts; they have those grading marks cast
into the head. You can really tell them from show-quality chrome bolts. I
guess you could grind them off, then re-polish; I didn't. "Screws", if you
want to so categorize straight-slot, Phillips-head, etc., won't have that
problem of course.

I think Tiger owners should consider this project as worthwhile.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com