Leftovers

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Leftovers
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:22:53 -0400
        After hooking up the speedo cable for the nth time, I needed to finish
up
a few more things before firing up the car for the 1st time in over a year.
BTW, I reviewed all of your suggestions on cable routing, and chose the one
where a hole is drilled (3/4") in the floor and the cable comes up just
_inside_ the firewall, under the carpet. The hole goes approximately in the
zone 5-8" to the right of the row of screws that hold the dimmer switch to
the floor, up in a roughly triangular channel under the car. Obviously,
easiest to drill from inside the footwell. The hole is at a steep angle to
the approach that the cable will make to it, so to get the cylindrical nut
on the cable end to pass through the hole it needs to be elongated some,
then you can pull it through; I used a set of needlenose pliers that have a
90 degree bend. Oh, yes; when I had the new cable made, with the solid
outer sheath to prevent (?) any ATF from running out, I asked for it to be
6 inches longer, just in case. For a normal routing, I think this is a good
idea; the through the floor method is _so_ direct that there's nowhere to
put the extra 6 inches. I'll figure it out eventually.
        Removing the set & track and laying down a blanket, I found I could get
semi-comfortable under the dash to hook up a few last things. The speedo
mounting went easy enough, but I discovered that I had not hooked up all of
the ground wires back there. It's a bit tight, even though I have smallish
hands, but I got all of the guages grounded. They string ground wires
guage-to-guage, and the string is 'anchored' to the car in 2 places.
        Then I find that I have a wire left over, not hooked to anything at
either
end. About 6 inches long, black, with a circular connector at one end, like
to go over a screw as on the guages, and with a female push-on connector at
the other. No clue.
        Anybody been under the dash so often that this description alone can
place
the wire? I should've consulted the wiring diagram last night & tried to
figure out if any of the _switches_ need grounding. I guess one method
might be to fire up the car and see what doesn't work... :-)

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com