Potporri resolution-The unknown cam

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Potporri resolution-The unknown cam
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 01:49:58 EDT
Hi Tigers
I would like to thank everyone who gave me thier advice and 2 cents worth on
my situation with my 260.I hoped to find an easy performace gain with it being
so apart.I realize now that  my "engine builder"was seeing dollarsigns-with my
money.That really is too bad,he did some outstanding work for me 5 years ago
on an MGB motor with a sprint cam.Not real pricey then either.I am certain he
knows what balancing is-he just didnt want any work(or money) to leave his
shop.I was afraid that perhaps one of his people had bored my 260 out to 289
specs((It had a tag identifying it as a 289 and had written 289 on it in a few
other places)and he didnt want to finish it because it would overheat) but my
measuring of the bores shows that to be untrue.Whoever(Steve Laifman) told me
to run like hell the other way when I asked about balancing my motor and was
put off-REALLY had it right.Expensive lesson.I checked out a library book
about Engine Blueprinting that answered my balancing question.So then to
balance it I have to assemble it(Gap the rings,fit them to the piston,install
the main  bearings and con rod bearings,get the engine to that point then take
it apart and take the finished and ready to use pieces along with the harmonic
balancer and flywheel to a shop THEN  be balanced,)right?
 So now I have a collection of nice shiny new parts."Engine day" will be
saturday.I will assemble the short block and then put it out of the way.
Among the collection of nice shiny new parts is a nice shiny new cam.It is
made by Avon Automotive (no it doesnt smell like perfume or soap) and has a
plain box and a plain label and no info about the contents.The number on the
box says it is Part #  CS281.I doubt I will install it,I shouldnt without more
info.Can anybody out there tell me about this cam?It is probably just like the
original factory cam(Yuck!). I suspect all I have is a final twist of the
screw(or whatever).
 Oh and to whoever asked,a windage tray is a  sheetmetal piece that helps keep
the oil from splashing/spraying on the cranksaft as the car is bouncing around
and crank whips up oil foam and making drag.
Thanks
Tony