Re: Air?

To: Bill Gullatt <bgullatt@traveller.com>,
Subject: Re: Air?
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 19:17:16 +0100
Just curious,

Has anyone ever put air conditioning on an Alpine or Tiger?

Bill Gullatt

Bill Gullatt wrote:

> I guess when I ask something so short I get answered short!
>
> What parts are suggested? Is there a kit?
>
> Bill Gullatt

Bill,

I am not sure if you are responding to my "short" reply, or someone elses. But
Tiger Tom , <Tigertoms@aol.com>, haas one on his Tiger tow vehicle for his Tiger
race vehicle, and claims it works just fine.  I have personally spoken to Cullen
Bennett, <Cullen_Bennett-P21988@email.mot.com>, who has one in his Tiger.

Tiger Tom even has automatic transmission, and uses a Mazda RX-3 (extinct)
under-dash evaporator/fan console that fits like the factory option radio did.
Cullen has an aftermarket evaporator that is thin and runs across his dash.
Both have switched the generator (alternator) to the left hand side, mounted off
a cylinder head bolt with a long bolt, fabricated bracket to the water pump, and
universal clamp arm, and employee 1 wire Chevvy alternators. (I think this is
true of Tom).  Dale A. has made many racing conversions of alternators to the
left side and has a very neat billet style bracket.  Don't know about
availability or price.  All use a condenser in front, Bill's is mounted low.
The important pump is Japanese rotary vane by Sankyo and is available from most
air conditioning places.  There is one in TAmpa that specializes in Mustang
complete kits and rebuilds.  Some parts are applicable to the Tiger.  This new
Sankyo pump is mounted on special brackets where the alternator/generator used
to be.

Cullen uses an aluminum raditor with custom full shroud, and says he has no
cooling problems on the hottest of days, and he lives in Tempe Arizona.  Tom is
back east, and active in Tiger circles.  He too has no heating problems towing
his other Tiger, but I do not know his set-up.  These are extensive changes to
the stock configuration, and require special cooling considerations, but can be
made to work satisfactorily, according to the owners.

Sorry, I don't know any more.  Was thinking about it, but decided to try to stay
stock, so dropped the real research.

Does this help?

Steve

--