Re: Hurst shifter (long winded)

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hurst shifter (long winded)
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 11:18:03 -0400 (EDT)
At 1:49 AM -0000 7/4/98, BMcgu22954@aol.com wrote:
>I have  291 6540  for the Competition / Plus Hurst shifter.
>Mine came with a straight shift lever, a little taller than the Cobra short
>shifter.
>
>Bruce McGuire

I've got the 1992 Hurst catalog in front of me. The shifter I used was
catalog # 391 7535. (This part # will get you a shift unit and a chrome
Stick, you'll more than likely have to cut it down and reweld the stick to
use it in a Tiger). The part number (for the shifter only, no stick) is
391 5401.
 I'd order the shift w/o the stick, since the Tiger will require a really
short stick .(Lots of those on the catalog)
The instaltion kit (shift rods, hardware, etc..) was catalog #373 3167.
I bought all this (barely used) from an ad in CAT. The seller also supplied
3 Hurst shift levers. I used the one that had been cut down and rewelded to
simulate an early Tiger shorty shift in length. I did the installation in
my garage. But, I would highly recomend using a ovehead lift, since things
got really tight laying there on my back.
Hurst supplies very detailed instuctions. You have to remove the stock
shift, making sure the car stays in neutral. On the Tiger, the shift unit
must go in from inside the car-(remove the trim ring and acess door under
the carpet on the tranny tunnel). I had to use a few taps with a wood block
to get the shifter to pass through the hole in  the tranny tunnel, but once
in, everything bolted up. The shift levers are a tight fit- had to do a bit
of  sheet metal massaging (only @  1/32-1/16")  on the tranny tunnel to
clear the outermost shift rod. A bunch o' wacks with a ball peen did the
needed clearnace work. Don't worry, it can't show through the carpet!
(That car will never get TAC'D now!   ;-)   ) After putting up with the
worn out stock shift for years, the Hurst was fantastic!