Re: SAC

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SAC
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 12:55:40 -0700
Listers,

Just about the time you think this story couldn't get any more bizarre, it
does!!  I have just learned from a reliable source close (very close) to
TAC that while the aforementioned meeting in the S.F. bar was transpiring,
someone broke into the rotary powered Alpine conversion vehicle belonging,
of course, to the TAC member, and stole all of the TAC materials he was
carrying inside including the certificates, stickers, and perhaps most
significantly, the records of the last 38 TAC'd Tigers, including those
TAC'd at Big Bear. This totally unforeseen turn of events has, frankly,
caught the TAC people flat-footed as to how to deal with this devastating
blow to its previously scrupulously run program. They are, at this moment,
working feverishly on a contingency plan to save the program. Since we can
only assume that whoever stole the TAC materials is a professional Alpine
converter, then they are now in the position of having enough
authentication certificates and stickers to do at least 500 Algers complete
with certificates and stickers. The implications, especially for those of
us who have already paid our $35, are nothing short of mind-boggling!!

The only possible response to this brazen act of treachery is to institute
a program for the Verification Of Authentication. (I'll wait a moment
before continuing while this concept soaks in!) What that means for the
close to 300 of us who have already been authenticated is that we will need
to have TAC revisit us and apply Verification Of Authentication or "VOA"
stamps to our certificates and little silver stickers. An alternative plan
is a self-verification scheme that involves having the owners upload their
pertinent chassis and certificate information with the VOA stickers being
sent to them by registered mail. This option will require the 128-bit
encryption browser plug-in. However, to guard against the possibility of
someone counterfeiting the VOA stamp, TAC is going to ask all of us to
refrain from showing anyone either the certificate or the little silver
sticker they place behind the glove box. Be especially careful of anyone
posing as a prospective buyer. Their real intent may be to get a look at
our VOA stamp and try and counterfeit it. BTW, the charge for the VOA stamp
will probably be another nominal $35.

I'm sorry to have to upset so many of you out there with this news, but
forewarned is forearmed.  If any of you have suggestions as to how to deal
this bizarre turn of events, I'm sure the TAC people will be most
appreciative. BTW, would any of you who had your Tigers TAC'd during the
past six weeks please contact the people at TAC and let them know who you are.

For now, happy motoring,

Bob