Re: Gear Ratio's

To: Wally Menke <wallym@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: Gear Ratio's
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:24:59 +0100
Wally,

Try Dan William's Top Loaders
206 East Dogwood Drive
Franklin, North Carolina 28734 USA
Phone 704-524-9085  Noon to midnight local
FAX 704-524-4848

Write for his literature.  Don't phone unless you have a lot of nickels, he'll
talk
your ear off.  I'd stay away from his "3 piece input shaft".  It may sound nice,
that you can change that gear, but it's only a way of making the piece cheaper,
not
functionally useful.  He knows a lot about top loaders and even the Tiger ones,
and
has articles on them.  You'll need to keep your nose bearing retainer, case,
output
housing and shaft, synchro's (If there are good).  Everything else gets replaced
cheaply, or you take your chances.  I "broke mine in for about 1,000 miles on
90wt
gear oil,  then switched to Mobil 1 synthetic GEAR oil.  Much slicker.

This is not a difficult job (except the R&R part, which has a few little
tricks),
and you will be pleased with the results, I predict.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >