EXTREME CASE

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: EXTREME CASE
From: "Norman C. Miller" <rootes1@best.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:09:36 -0700
At 08:59 AM 7/13/98 -0700, Bob Palmer wrote:

>=85Now there is at least one case I know of where TAC failed to authenticat=
and that car went on a year later to win the Lord Rootes Trophy=85

Dr. P is, as most of you know, a fabulous storyteller, but in this case,
he's gotten the details a little wide of the mark.  Even though I'm no
longer an active member of the official TAC program, I can speak to the
events Bob has referred to in this post.

First of all, it's important for everyone to know the car that Bob is
talking about has NEVER been presented to the TAC committee for
authentication.  Its authenticity, however, was challenged (by yours truly)
at Tiger United XX, in large part because the owner was masking the
identity of the car.  STOA's trophy policy (cars may be inspected for
authenticity before being awarded trophies) was in force for that event and
I called for its implementation.  The result of the examination (performed
by two TAC committee members) was a split decision.  Pursuant to the trophy
policy, which defers to the car in cases where inspectors do not agree, the
vehicle was allowed to compete and was awarded honors.  A year later at
Tigers United XXI (Bakersfield, hosted by the CAT club), the subject car
was campaigned very successfully and went on unchallenged to win the Lord
Rootes Trophy.

>=85It takes three TAC authorized people to inspect a car and two of the
three have to give a thumbs up. This car only got one thumb up, so they
declined to OK it. The owner was and is very hostile to TAC and even covers
up his VIN and JAL in public=85

Bob is confused here, as well.  The TAC program requires all three
inspectors to agree before authentication is granted.

>=85For no one will this question be more pertinent than for some future
buyer of this car who may be shocked to find out after he has paid a
premium price that he can't get his car TACed=85

I'm sure the TAC committee would be happy to give this car a complete and
thorough inspection at the request of either its current owner, or at the
insistence of some potential future buyer.

Norm